Distilling giant Diageo broke ground on its new 24,000sqm bottling facility, wastewater treatment plant and a maturation warehouse in Mexico just last week. This follows the firm’s US$400 million investment in the Don Julio tequila brand prior.
The move is slated to boost and double the production of both Don Julio and sister vodka brand Smirnoff. The firm is targeting to produce over 5 million cases of both whereby more than half of which are destined for export worldwide.
The Don Julio tequila marque is expected to account for 80% of this expanded output figure whilst Smirnoff will account for the remaining 20%. Diageo also noted that the development will create approximately 1,000 jobs both directly and indirectly in the state of Jalisco where the new facility is sited.
“This investment reaffirms our long-term commitment to Mexico and we look forward to playing a bigger role in the industry, investing in our people and communities and supporting wider economic development,” said Diageo CEO Ivan Menezes in regards to the new site.
Beyond the Don Julio and Smirnoff brands, credible sources online also report the possibility of Diageo’s Captain Morgan rum brand being integrated into this new site too. Diageo will reportedly release more details surrounding this at a later date.
About Editor 2.0
An avid boozer and word-stringer who's paid to drink and write for the revamped Boozeat Blog 2.0
You May Also Like
- Casamigos Tequila – George Clooney’s billion-Dollar tequila brand
- Royal Salute The Flask Edition special released internationally
- 2016 EU spirits exports surges by 5%
- New Cono Sur Bicicleta Pinot Noir limited edition bottle released
- 7 essential whisky cocktails to know and try